First up make sure it’s a balanced meal – the NHS has published a really useful Eatwell Guide!
SO! Top-tips for family food on the cheap!
- Buy frozen – carrots, sweetcorn, spinach, broccoli and peas for all your stews and curries – these tend to be a lot cheaper than fresh veg. Plus frozen fruit can be massively cheaper than fresh versions. If you are savvy you’ll freeze your own!
- Learn to store fruit and veg properly – here’s a really useful chart!
- Buy tinned or boxed – tomatoes, kidney beans, chick peas, sweetcorn, pineapple and keep them back for emergencies
- Buy dried – chillies, mushrooms, dates, raisins,
- Replace ‘posh’ items with cheaper counterparts – want to impress with your homemade pesto (a meal the kids will eat right!) – cheddar, kale and walnuts are a cheap alternative to parmesan, basil and pinenuts.
- Cook in bulk and freeze it – that helps with feeling like you are eating the same food everyday – cook something different next time and portion it up for the freezer
- Get involved with them yellow sticker goods